Here's our step-by-step on how to contact your officials about restoring beaver habitat to the beaver state.
- Find an article in your local newspaper or online about a water issue that would be helped by having abundant beaver on public lands building and maintaining beaver dams and habitat. This FAQ has information about exactly where and how beaver can help.
- Make 8 copies of the title page of your article. Write the publication’s name and date on it if it’s missing.
- Take 8 envelopes, add your return address, stamps, and address each envelope to the following representatives: 1) Governor Kate Brown, 2) ODFW Deputy Director Shannon Hurn, 3) Senator Wyden, 4) Senator Merkley, 5) your Federal Representative, 6 and 7) your State Legislators, and 8) Dr. Jane Lubchenco, U.S. Deputy Director for Climate and the Environment.
- Write to Governor Brown asking for the following closure and, in one page, include why it is important to you. Here’s a handy letter template.
- Make 7 copies of your letter and article and send to each of the other 7 decision makers listed above.
- Drop all 8 envelopes in the mail.
- Use this link to let us know who you wrote and the article you included.
Together, let’s close beaver trapping/hunting on Oregon’s federal and state-managed public lands prior to the November 15 start date of the trapping/hunting season as a climate change, drought and wildfire, and salmon recovery strategy.
If you are unable to complete the action below before November 10th, 2021, please consider an email or phone call version of this action. (If writing emails, please remember to cc: all 7 representatives).
Oregon Governor Kate Brown
Office of the Governor
900 Court Street NE, Suite 254
Salem, OR 97301-4047
Phone: (503) 378-4582
Email Kate Brown
ODFW Deputy Director Shannon Hurn
4034 Fairview Industrial Drive SE
Salem, OR 97302
Email Deputy Director Hurn
Senator Ron Wyden
221 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington DC 20510
Phone: (541) 962-7691
Email Senator Wyden
Senator Jeff Merkley
313 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington DC 20510
Phone: (503) 200-5518
Email Senator Merkley
Other State and Federal elected officials (Senate, House, Congress)
Legislator lookup has mailing addresses for these three officials which vary depending on your address
Dr. Jane Lubchenco
Deputy Director for Climate and the Environment
White House Office of Science and Technology Policy
Eisenhower Executive Office Building
1650 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, D.C. 20504
Email Dr. Lubchenco
Phone: (541) 737-5337